Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

Crazy like a Jay Fox

I will have to admit that yesterday brought me one of the more entertaining characters I have sat next to in a while on the South Shore in a while. Yesterday we met

Jay Fox
8 South Michigan Avenue Suite 2008
Chicago IL

I know this because Jay was so kind as to leave us all of his architecture magazines after he had read and mangled them. Jay was definately the moody sort who was definately not ready to sit in adjoining four seaters with 6 dedicated commuters and friends of PWP. Jay was visibly annoyed when his ploy to keep the four seater to himself failed miserably, even after he spread his stuff out over three seats, and trying to straddle more room than his skinny ass needed. Jay pulled out all of the stops to try to get rid of Nerd and I who had the fortune of sharing the four seater with him, along with a no-named commuter who exited at an early stop. After Old Hippie left the seats at his stop, and Nerd moved over with the rest of the clan, I stayed and stretched out a little bit, with Jay katty corner from me, and determined to get rid of me as well. Jay pulled out all of the stops, stretching out again as far as he could, flipping through his trade magazines and newspapers as loud as he could, slamming his newspapers down on the seat as loud as he could etc.

Well of course you know, this means war!

I definately had to make sure the conversations on our part stayed loud and animated, even managing to knock knees with him, while not even acknowleding his presence. As soon as he got the cellphone out, I made sure that the crude comments and vulagarities flowed freely, as did the boisterous laughter and insults. Finally before Ogden Dunes, Jay gave up and became the 19th victim of the Muggle Ticker, leaving his mess of newspapers and magazines behind. Now you may wonder how we got to know Jay so well, and the answer is for an architect, Jay is a real idiot. Remember all of those magazines he left behind? Yeah they all had his name and work address on them. I was even so kind as to take one of them, take the address label off of it, and leave a note for the South Shore cleaning crew, that the mess was left courtesy of Jay, and put the note into the areas for public notices.

Ah, Jay, we hardly knew ye.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    Man I wish I could ride more often. I get stuck on the 4:30, 5:00, 7:15...

    I miss the banter!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home