Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

South Shore's Greatest Hits I

As many of the Purgatory faithful know, this blog was started in June of 2005. Really its a shame that the internet hasn't been around longer, because I know just in the many people I have had the luck to interact with over the years, there are many, many incredible tales to be told. Myself, I have been a commuter for 7 years and a month now, starting in December of 1998 at my first job in the financial district in Chicago. In reality, I come from a line of people intimately familiar with the South Shore. One of my grandfathers was an electrician on the South Shore for almost 30 years, before cancer forced him to retire in the 1980's. I remember being quite the muggle myself as a child when we would take the train into the city to visit both family and the stores. I also remember taking field trips to Chicago to see things like Marshall Fields windows, the Art museum, the Field museum, and my favorite as a child, the museum of Science and Industry.

Now what I would like to do today is to open Purgatory to the masses. Send me your stories of the South Shore train from before this blog opened. They can be anything that you feel needs to be heard... Your longest delay, the strangest commute you ever had, the drunkest you have ever been on the South Shore, or anything else you would like to share. Send them to southsider2k4@gmail.com and if they are worthy, they will join the annals of Purgatory history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home