Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

Muggle Ticker--->20

In the better late than never category... I give you the story of the last muggle ran off by our faithful crew, well at least by me.

This woman was one of those Muggles who feels that a rough day of shopping in the city entitled her and her Marshall Fields shopping back to an entire four seater to herself. Well Nerd and I sat with her, and you could tell she was visibly upset from the get go. I even asked if I could put her back up on the rack, and instead she said "no" and kept it on her lap. The woman tried to take up as much of the legroom as possible, so I made sure to knock knees with her every chance I got, and then I learned on accident how to really annoy her... One of the activities that is acceptable on the South Shore is do puzzles quietly, and our commuter crew is big fans of Sudoku's. I was working diligently on mine, leaning forward to invade the perceived personal space of our invading Muggle. While working on the puzzle, sometimes I tap my pencil mindlessly, and one of the times I did it, I accidently tapped her bag. The overreaction of regathering in her bag and glaring at me was all I needed to know that I successfully touched the Muggle's nerve. Even after Nerd deserted me, I made sure to occasionally brush up against her bag as I was getting comfortable, and finally right after Gary, the woman left in a huff, and moved up another car forward.

The Muggle Ticker now stands at 20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home