Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

Play it forward

There are lots of things that muggles say on a regular basis that crack me up. I love people who ride the train on a busy day, and when they can't find 4 seats together (you know 3 seats for the shoppers and one for their bags) they say to the Conductor

"I shouldn't have to pay full price, because I don't have a seat."

My favorite reply...

"You don't pay for the seat, you pay for the ride."

Yesterday an old man and his wife were wandering mindlessly through the aisles when they were actually lucky enough to find two seats together after Van Buren. The wife started to sit down and was trying to get her husband to join her. Instead of sitting down, he complained...

"I can't sit there, I would be riding backwards, and I can't handle that."

That line kills me. Yes the South Shore is going to go sooooooooooo fast that you are going to get vertigo from riding backwards. Hell be a daredevil and sit in the very front seat. Ooooooh scary. The whole 79 miles per hour top speed can mess you up. Yeah 79 mph, what is that like .00000000001 G forces? Just sit down, and find something else to complain about. Something like not being able to hear your stop, or you shouldn't have to pay because you can't find a seat.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    I'm still waiting for the bar car designated for monthly pass holders only :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home