Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

An Anger special with a dash of postal sauce

As you all know, in my great and mighty efforts to entertain the masses, sometimes I stretch the circumstances of a situation to fit it into the window of "commuting". As such, this story did not actually take place on a South Shore train, or even at one of its stations. These both actually happened as I was walking to the train down Van Buren in Chicago to catch the train in order to get home. And now to the story...

Twice now as I have been walking from work, I had the (mis)fortune of being in the presence of this same guy as he had issues with other people. The first time was right before we rounded the corner from Van Buren onto Michigan into the tunnel which decends into the Van Buren train station. Right before Michigan Avenue, there is a little sort of collectors shop on the south side of the street. Its a very small place, the kind if you blink, you miss it. Well a younger girl is one of the two people that works in there, and she was standing outside smoking one day. She finishes up and flips away the used cig a few feet in front of the target of our story, and he snapped. Instantly he was cursing at her about polluting the air for everybody. Instead of arguing with him, the girl simply flipped the angry man off, and walked back into the shop. The guy, not being satisfied, opened the door of the shop, screamed in a few more choice obsenities, and then looked at me and asked.

"Can you believe some people?"

The funny thing is, I got to see him in action last Friday.

As I was standing and waiting to cross Dearborn, the light was against me, so I watched the cars go by waiting for a break. Eventually the light changed, and as I looked down the street, I could see that one cabbie in typical fashion, didn't believe that red lights meant stop if you were driving in a car painted yellow. So instead of getting creamed all over the pavement, I waited for the idiot to run the light and pass by. What I didn't realize was the Mr. Angry was standing on the other side of me, and had started to walk into the intersection once the light had changed. He took a step back at the last second, and then proceded to belt the car hard with his heavy satchel bag, screaming obsenities at the cab driver and refering to his obvious color blindess. Then the guy looks at me, and saids again...

"Can you believe some people?"

I do believe some people, and others I simply fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home