Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

Let Me Roll it to You...

I always know it is going to be a fun write up when I have multiple potential titles in my head. This is one of those stories, except with a tragic ending.

Friday the gang plus a few of the 4:31 refugees sneaking out early were out on the Van Buren platform as the train slowly approached. There was a group of 7 or 8 of us waiting, me of course being in "the" key spot where the traindoors usually end up. Right as the train is pulling in, I feel my knees start to go out from under me. As I am trying to figure out what the hell is going on, I notice some 4'3" woman with a waist to match pushing past me, with her backpack firmly planted in the back of my knees, using it to shove me out of the way. Honestly I was in shock. This was a huge violation of the Chicagoian "dibs" theory which extends not only to parking places, but to spots at bus and train stations.

"Dibs" is when you are standing in a spot, it is your spot, and no one is to push in front of you. People are to line up either to the sides of you, or behind you. But no, this was a catastrophic failure of the "dibs" system. But sadly, I was so in shock after getting rolled by a midget who could have passed for a bowling ball, (if you took off her legs and head) that all I could manage was a "What the fuck??".

Embarassing I know. It was even more pathetic than anything else. I probably should have shoved her in front of the on coming train (but then again I would have had to face the angry commuters who were delayed by my actions), or grabbed her by her backpack and turned her around to go the other way, but no, I choked. There is no joy in Mudville, the might Casey has struck out.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    With reflexes like that I now understand why they took you off shortstop and put you in the outfield! LOL

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger southsider2k5 said…

    [cough]backupcatcher[/cough]

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    Yeah well I'm a football fan, if we started a flag football team and I was a backup, then you could talk. You live and breathe baseball!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger southsider2k5 said…

    With the physical specimen that I am? Who are we kidding, I'd be the QB.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger RarelyQuiet said…

    Yeah you're a specimen, maybe one day Nerdnotmensa can figure out what to classify you as :-)

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger southsider2k5 said…

    I take it that is Latin for "Cucumber-sized stud"?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home