Purgatory With Pantagraphs

From the depths of commuter hell, comes Purgatory with Pentagraphs. These are the continuing stories of the brave souls who commute daily to Chicago on the South Shore electric train, and the muggles who are unfortunate enough to meet them.

The Muggles of Summer

Ah yes, the end of summer. This means something different to many people. For some it is the Cubs inevitable collapse to crappiness, for others it means the last days to soak up some rays, before the dark and dreary Chicago winter sets in. For me is means a Mugglescopy is about to take place on the South Shore, when all of the Mugglitos go back to school and leave me the hell alone.

Monday was another one of those days, as even when the train pulled into the Van Buren Street station it was already standing room only. I snagged one of the very last seats, and went to open my coke and get comfortable for the long ride home. Of course the pop had become agitated as I walked to the station and fizzed over and spilled out. I quickly moved it away from myself, and over the floor, so as to not get myself wet. The floor received a nice sized puddle, which proceded to move all up and down the aisle as the train sped up and slowed down. At 12th street we picked up Nerd and a bunch more Muggles like usual. Feeling in a generous mood for some strange reason I offered my seat to Nerd, and took up a place standing in the aisle with the gaggle of Muggles who had poutingly assembled in it. One such family of Muggles consisted of three kids, two under ten, and a mother and father. The two youngest kids and the Dad moved in front of me and decided to sit on the floor. Of course the middle kid made herself comforable and sprawled out accross the floor, sticking her hands into my previously placed puddle of coke. Her first question was

"What is so sticky?"

Ah yes, the sweet adhesion of success.

What kind of an idiot lets their kids sit on the floor of a public transit system? My answer would be the kind that deserves to stick their hands into a puddle of an unknown substance on a train.

The fun part was that the Muggle fun wasn't even over yet. I got meet another intreaguing family. It was a grandma and grandpa who had taken their granddaughter into the big city for the day. Straight off of the family farm, they took her into the Muesuem of Science AND Industry. I am sure they did stop by The Farm to compare combines and all. The quote from them that had my attention was the old man saying...

"Damn we are going to have to do this again in another 5 years with the other Granddaughter."

Yup. Mmmhmm. Get R Done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home